Sunday, July 31, 2011

Alaska, Day 6: Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Today was all about the hike. About eight miles, about as many hours, probably about 1600' elevation gain, and EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND BAZILLION mossies. I think my arms were as tired as my legs just from waving them away all day.

But? Sooooo worth it.

Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve, from Atigun Gorge

Atigun River

Atigun Gorge, part I

Atigun Gorge, part II

Photos do not do it justice. So frustrating.

As we headed back to the road Tim picked blueberries for breakfast pancakes. Rain clouds started to move closer and we reached the road just as the drops started to fall. We still had an hour before Emily was picking us up, but as luck would have it, a nice lady named Heather (originally from Portland, now in Fairbanks, up north for a short camping trip) had parked her truck at our pickup spot to take her dogs for a walk. At that very spot, on an otherwise fairly deserted highway. I knew Tim was thinking exactly what I was thinking, but before we could even ask, Heather offered us a ride. I hope to be able to buy her a beer one day - either when she's visiting family in Portland, or in New Zealand (we'll both be there in February).

Small world.

Song of the day: Higher Ground, Stevie Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment