Sunday, February 21, 2010

Expect the nonlinear.

I forgot about yesterday. Yesterday I went to Cementerio de la Recoleto, housing graves of many important political figures including Evita herself.

Evita's tomb

It's really an amazing place - paths and paths of mausoleums, some classic, some megolomaniacal and some outright ridiculous. I think I spent two hours there and could have easily spent two more. All that in the midst of high rise condos and busy city streets.

condos above, tombs below

looked totally out of place amidst all the white stone tombs - I loved it

also lots of cats here, this one was about to send a butterfly to an early grave

After the cemetery I headed to the Museo National de Bellas Artes. Lots of familiars (Degas, van Gogh, Pollack, Monet, Renoir) as well as classic Argentine artists. Free. Another two hours there, an hour waiting out the afternoon thunderstorm, a quick wander through the neighborhood and back downtown for an attempt at grub (pasta, still not a good idea).

Floralis Generica near the museum: a 20m structure that opens at dawn and closes at dusk.

Now I am in the hostel listening to a live band in the hangout area, waiting to see if a computer opens up so I can IM, while the USA plays Canada in Olympic hockey, and suddenly I have no idea where I am. Life is good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment