Thursday, February 18, 2010

There is a haiku about grid cities in my future.

Spent today getting familiar with Buenos Aires, at least the central part. It's layed out nicely and the maps make things easy to find... if you are map-inclined. Apparently, despite living in an urban grid of a city and completing lots of successful cross country trips, I am not. Natch, I'll get it down right before I have to leave.

(Seriously though - perpendicular. Five syllables. I'm just saying.)

Don't cry for me, Argentina...

I'm staying in the Microcentro. Not my first choice of the four hostels I picked out but I was tired and grumpy after 18 thousand hours of airplane leading to humidity. The HI Obelisco, my first stop, had a bed for me. A big plus was that it's central to most of the places I want to go. It's also loud, somewhat crowded and overloaded on Bob Marley CDs, but I'm just here a few days so that will be fine. The staff is super nice, they organize lots of local-led outings and besides - no hostel will ever be worse than the Christian Youth Hostel I stayed at in Amsterdam.

Yes, such a thing exists and no, I was not (nor am I now) a practicing Christian.

But that's a haiku for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment