Sunday, September 23, 2012

ExplOregon coast vacation: Umpqua State Park.

But first: Bandon.
 
Coquille River Lighthouse

Coquille Point wildlife refuge/
Face Rock State Scenic Viewpoint

 not Face Rock
but it plays her on TV

Face Rock 

Beautiful beach aside, Bandon itself is quirky and charming.  I kept trying to remember what it reminded me of, and all I could think was Tiburon without the wealth and pretension.  Can I just say that I love this little town? 

Year of the Dragon art contest

my mom is going to want this
on her tombstone now

I agree

not the best fish tacos I've *ever* had
but pretty darned good

We finally bought some fudge, headed out of town, stopped for oysters on the way to Umpqua State Park and after a quick happy hour, wandered around Lake Marie and then up to the lighthouse.

happy hour

 Lake Marie

Umpqua River Lighthouse

Yes, there are coastal lighthouses, river lighthouses, lake lighthouses, bay lighthouses...  They're now run by the Coast Guard - which makes a lot of sense, but caused quite a bit of controversy back in the day.  All nine Oregon lighthouses were established between 1870-1896, and all have been named to the National Register of Historic Places.  And all are totally awesome.  Even the ones under construction.  And women are very capable "lighthouse keepers" - get it?  Get it??

Ahh, free ranger lectures.  Gotta love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment