Tuesday, March 16, 2010

So the surfing lesson yesterday consisted of...

... five minutes of practice with a surfboad drawn in the sand, then to the ocean where the instructor yelled ¨swima swima swima!¨ when the right wave came along. What part of ¨primero tiempo¨ did he not get?, I wondered at first, but it seemed that was instruction enough and after about an hour and a half I successfully got onto my knees and rode a wave. With that success I attempted to stand on the next wave. Did not go as well. But it was fun! My knees are purple (purpura) and I expect they will go to black tonight or tomorrow, but the water was heavenly after sweating in this heat all day. The beach is small and not like any other beach I´ve been to. After the lesson we looked for my flip-flops, and I was convinced they´d been taken (one does not leave things on the beach unattended here, I learned once we got to the beach) and then lo and behold, there they were. Bueno! So still no casualties in this trek.

Spanish lessons are under a similar methodology but I think this will be good overall. My host family is very nice but does not speak English, and communication is muy dificile and meals are awkward right now. I don´t think they knew what they were signing up for, but they have a 3 yr old grandson in another city so I need to learn ¨pretend I am your grandson and talk that slowly¨ and I think we will be OK. I did buy a dictionary yesterday and that helped at dinner, or at least created some smiles as I would start a sentence, hold up my finger, find the word, continue my sentence - which was something ridiculously simple like ¨where can I buy a new t-shirt?¨

Found an Aussie yesterday and was able to have an actual conversation. It´s amazing how interesting the most mundane discussions are, when one hasn´t had a complete one in approximately three days...!

Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment