Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Volcan Cotopaxi...

... erupts every 100 years or so. The last eruption was 114 years ago. It's overdue and will likely wipe out everything in its path in less than 5 minutes when it does go.

Volcan Cotopaxi from below

He tells us this as we are about to walk up the trail.

I love the lack of safety regulations here. "Want to learn to surf? Here's a board, a rough set of waves and a guy named Raul who speaks no English. Have fun!" "Want to visit an active volcano? OK, on the way back you can also bike down a really slippery and steep trail with only a helmet and some rusty brakes. Have fun!"

In Oregon, to jump out of a plane and spend a minute in the air I had to sign my name to about three dozen liability releases including one that essentially said "sometimes parachutes don't open, if you die on the way down your family cannot sue us." In our litigious society even the simplest activity like purchasing a cup of fast food coffee requires a "no sue" clause of some sort. Here I have signed nothing. It's refreshing, in a weird way.

Although they really ought to consider a "no sue" clause for the country's staples, Nescafe and Pilsner. Bleeeccchh.

(not pictured: the armed guard at the park's entrance - common in South America)

what's that in feet?

Cotopaxi is the only active volcano with a glacier

view of the valley from near the top of Cotopaxi

I stayed on the bus for the bike portion, mostly because it was pouring rain at that point and only the Dutch yahoos opted to go, but also because I don't remember the last time I rode a bike and the last thing I need is a broken leg. Prior to the rain I considered it, because when else am I going to have such an option?... so thank you, rain, for making the call for me.

In the morning we had picked up passengers from Hosteria PapaGayo, a beautiful farm and hostel near Cotopaxi. When we dropped them off at the end of the day we were treated to fresh baked chocolate cake and tea in their garden.

me pretending I stayed here

sleepy puppies staying warm by the heater

I returned to my hostel happy to have had no ill-effects from the sudden change in altitude. A good sign for things to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment