Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Galapagos, day seven.

This morning we got up before dawn to seek out Galapagos penguins and blue footed boobies. Luck was on our side for both. I was sad to realize I am a bit penguined out - that, or seeing just five wasn't as impressive as the colonies of thousands I saw a few weeks ago. I tried to muster enthusiasm, though, and these guys *were* pretty cute hopping around the rocks.

{Tour Guide said we would be going straight to the snorkeling place, so I didn't bring my camera. THANKS, Tour Guide.}

Next was a walk through sea lion and marine iguana territory in Los Tintoretos. The terrain here was interesting - black lava rocks with what looked like white paint (I assume it was lichen) which helped to camoflauge the iguanas as well as the penguins (rumor has it they can lay on their backs on the rocks, spread their wings and be invisible to prey).

Before heading back to Cat we snorkled through Los Tuneles - channels of lava tunnels and arches where we saw tons of beautiful fish, all sizes, shapes and colors, and what I assume were tiny krill. (Since I missed the "thrill if the krill" lecture in Antarctica I can't be sure. They were small, shrimplike, clear and ugly. I think that = krill.) I also saw a ginormous sting ray, about three times the size of the ones I saw in Belize, and another sea turtle. I can't get enough of those sea turtles.

Now we are sailing back to Santa Cruz Island to wind down before heading back to the mainland tomorrow. I don't mind the time at sea. There is plenty of shade from the sails and the water is a gorgeous shade of blue...

This is what I love about this trip. The amount of civilization has been disarming but here, in the middle of the ocean with just fuzzy blobs of land in the distance and the occasional sea lion popping up or random strange bird gliding by... This is how I would like to remember the Galapagos.

No comments:

Post a Comment