Friday, April 16, 2010

Hasta luego, Ecuador.

I might be the only person who gets way too excited about a soy baking company or Indian restaurant in South America, who seeks out vivariums in foreign cities, and who can kill close to three hours in a cemetery without knowing anyone actually buried there.

No idea what to expect from Peru. In case it's vastly different (as Ecuador has been from Argentina, for the most part) I should state for the record that I will miss smelling the panaderias before seeing them (just kidding about not eating any more bread). I wonder if Peru will also have rows and rows of small shops side by side selling shoes, ice cream, cell phones, ice cream, baby announcements and prom-like dresses, ice cream, shoes, DVDs and eggs, cell phones, ice cream and ice cream (in that order). I wonder if they will have armed guards in their national parks and ham available for every meal. I wonder if people will drive crazily but safely (?) between lanes and honk for no apparent reason. I hope Cusco has a Supermaxi. I doubt they will have amazing ceviche. I know I am going to love it.

On the way back from the park yesterday, Diego drove me down "cui" street, where one can find all the roasting guinea pigs one could ever desire. Whole guinea pigs and regular pigs on spits on the sidewalks. (It seemed rude to take photos so I didn't, but I'm sure you can google images if you choose. I don't recommend it though.) Before seeing that I was game to try it, no pun intended. Now all I see are their little faces on the spit roasting away. So unless it's accidental, I will not be trying that delicacy.

And that's a wrap, Ecuador. Don't worry. This is not the last you have seen of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment