Sunday, April 25, 2010

Machu Picchu trek: day six.

This morning we joined the official Inca Trail.

Inca Trail checkpoint

Our climb to Llulluchapampa campsite was slow and uneventful. The views were great though - amazing what climbing from 3000m to 3700m does for the scenery. We could even see the trail we did two days ago and the glaciers from the first few days waaaay back in the distance.

and DONKEYS!

According to the "rules" we have to stick together during this part of the trek so since there was no hurry, I stayed behind the last one of our group and admired the views, the flowers, the caterpillars and some crazy spider-web-like moss on the trees.

A lot here reminds me of Parque El Cajas, especially the "enchanted forest" of Andean trees.

But I am still seeing new things too - many new species of flowers, and a crazy tree with red spikey flowers that only grows here. A particular species of tree (yukas? - need to check this) shed their bark regularly to prevent moss and other invasive pests from growing on them. Neat.

At camp some llamas wandered in to graze. We are in tourist land now - there are groups of campers above and below us for the first time this trek. Fortunately we are right by another babbling brook and the parrots are also nearby for noise distractions! It's fun watching them (and the cute little sparrows) swoop and swarm.

The moon is almost full. You barely need a "torch" (flashlight) to find your way to the "bathroom" (flushing ceramic holes in the ground - strangest but most logical toilets I have ever seen). The stars are a little washed out by the moon but the southern cross was visible tonight. We may have a full moon the night we arrive in MP...

Fingers crossed for that and continued great weather. We are due for a downpour on the trail any moment now. (Anti-jinx in full effect.)

Tomorrow we have two passes to climb. At today's pace it is going to be a long day.

My first camera battery finally died today after lunch, after threatening to do so for two full days. It has been hard to monitor my camera battery consumption because everything is new and beautiful. Knowing I was limited, I tried to take more photos early in the journey, when we were trekking where few people had ever passed, figuring I could google "official" Inca Trail photos if worse came to worst. At day six with another almost-full battery I have abandoned that plan though. That's probably the only thing I have missed about not having electricity this time around. Some of the ranger stations up here have solar panels for their communication device charging. Electricity might come to the villages soon too... What are people most excited about? TV, natch.

Quote of the day is a tie. Viki: "I've seen a lot of animals wander through my campsite... Bears, marmots, deer... But never a llama." Me at 7:30pm as I crawled into my sleeping bag: "I always think it's too early to go to sleep and the next thing I know it's morning..."

We have a 5:00am wake up call tomorrow. Yep, it's going to be a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment