Friday, February 10, 2012

Abel Tasman National Park: um, yeah, I'll be back.

After a brief (okay, unintentional but lovely 2 hour) detour which included lots of sheep and a stop at Hawkes Lookout...

I could've stood here for hours and hours

... we found the boat taxis at Abel Tasman and booked the 15 minute ride up to Torrent Bay in order to walk the 14km back to Marahau. The tides are quite serious there and there are only so many options depending on the time of day you arrive, so this was pretty much it for us if we wanted to hike. (No regrets - the view was awesome in the morning and the 14km walk was awesome that afternoon.)

The boat taxi wasn't leaving for an hour, so one of us enjoyed a very nice falafel sandwich and the others of us ogled her falafel sandwich while enjoying some fries and a coffee. I wish I could say I was the one who enjoyed the falafel sandwich - I got a taste and it was divine - or the coffee - because I sure could've used it. But I'm sure my fries (which were close to divine) fueled me through the hike. I mean, right?

A quick boat taxi stop/photo op...

aptly named Split Apple Rock

... a few stops to accommodate kayakers along the way, then to the dropoff at Torrent Bay for the start of our hike.

After a few kilometers, our first stop was Cleopatra Pool. This was a sidestep trek, only about 20 minutes off the trail, and so very worth it.

happy tramper

clearest water

And then lots and lots of walking. I thought it was a great day for a 14km walk - cloudy and overcast, a bit rainy at times, far less chance of 3rd degree sunburn. Really great shots of the beach all along the way:

beach view from the trail

fall: alive and well in abel tasman national park

appletree bay

And then back "home" to enjoy our last night with the cicadas.

I think it is safe to say we will sleep well tonight. Tomorrow: dolphins!

No comments:

Post a Comment