Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tongariro National Park, Day 1: I {heart} quiet mountain towns.

Big travel day today. The morning flight to Auckland was uneventful, and after picking up the rental car I headed south. The weather was dreary - overcast if not rainy, cold - which didn't bode well for the Tongariro Alpine Crossing the next day, but I figured that however the day turned out, it would be better than sitting in a cube.

Piriaka Lookout
on the way to Tongagiro National Park

I arrived at the Ski Haus hostel late in the afternoon and was thrilled to learn that I had a 5-bunk dorm all to myself. Tongariro National Park is in a pretty remote area of the island so after settling in, I wandered around "town" for a bit and then headed back for dinner. Other than a few families and couples, the only others at the hostel were three young folks who hung out in the common area all night complaining about how there was nothing to do.

I, on the other hand, loved that there was nothing to do.

Early to bed in prep for the big adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment