Friday, February 17, 2012

Tui Extreme, Day 6: keys to silliness, NZ food and the Routeburn Track.

Breakfast was with the gang at Halo, where we sadly said goodbye to Peggy and Gary (who was injured on the mountain biking adventure so he and Peggy had to sit the next few days out). Afterward the rest of us headed south toward Milford Sound.

Along the way we had our first exposure to meat pies - a New Zealand staple! - and then stopped in Eglinton Valley (near Homer Tunnel) to take some silly photos. The fresh air and cameraderie were actually much needed, and we all had a really good time cartwheeling, pyramiding and starfish jumping in the beautiful field.

chicken curry... mmmmm

my favorite group shot

Next was a quick hike up to Key Summit on the Routeburn Track. The weather totally cooperated, the views were fantastic and we had a great walk. (This is the point where I decided that I wanted to go back and do all the Tracks start to finish. So gorgeous and so accessible!)

top of Key Summit

another terrible view our guides arranged for us

Then back on the road.... When we reached Milford Sound we settled in at the lodge and walked down the road for dinner.

can you see me?

I honestly couldn't believe that lounge patrons were watching the television instead of marveling at the beauty around them.

oh right, what was I thinking? -
TV is far more interesting

On the way back I found myself very preoccupied with what I needed to prep for the next morning. I had to stop, take a deep breath, ditch my friends and listen to the cicadas and crazy birds instead:


I want to live in a van down by this

And then all was well with my world. Next up: kayaking in Milford Sound, also known as the eighth wonder of the world - could not be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment