Sunday, February 26, 2012

Auckland (the end): sad face.

Saturday morning I waited until the five very nice but very chatty Slovenian girls sharing my dorm room headed out for their own Tongariro Alpine Crossing adventure, then I packed up and started the drive to Auckland.

Natch, as compared to the day before it was a gorgeous day and I bet they had a gorgeous hike. (I suspected I would remember mine more than they would remember theirs though.)

the only kiwi I saw the whole trip,
Ngauruhoe in the background -
which I could not see the day before!


Pieke had recommended a few stops along the way, which I gladly indulged in.

Lake Taupo vista point


Huka Falls turned out to be beautiful but quite touristy so I opted for a side walk from the main strip. Along the way there were lovely views and lookout points.

Spa Park walk - population: me

Continuing north I stopped off for coffee with an attitude...

I agree!

... followed by a quick visit to Cornwall Park in Auckland. My intention was to finally see One Tree Hill to pay homage to the tale I'd heard where a Maori chopped the latest tree down in protest to the monument ("this is in honor of a dying culture? our culture is not dying, thank you very much, and now I shall chop down your monument" - my words, legend sentiment).

But in the short time I had, I never did find it. Instead I wandered among the tall trees and lovely flowers in the amazing old park for a bit...

not One Tree Hill

... and then headed to Auckland airport to end my three-week adventure. What a fantastic trip, and I am so grateful that I could share it with good friends.

farewell for now, New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment