Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wanaka, Day 1: solo adventure, part I.

Got dropped off at the airport, said goodbye to our new friends...

and goodbye to Frank the tank! I will miss you, Frank,
and your never-ending fruit and snack basket

... and I picked up the rental car for my first solo left sided-drive up to Wanaka, which a coworker had recommended as being "more low key" than Queenstown. Turns out? Boy oh boy, was he right.

The drive was uneventful! Almost disappointing, the lack of solo left sided-driving drama!

um, both thankfully and disappointingly uneventful

the views were lovely though

I couldn't check in to the hostel (Purple Cow - two thumbs up!) until 2pm so I grabbed a flat white and, at the recommendation of one of the past week's tour guides, headed up to Diamond Lake Conservation Area.

There were three trail options - Rocky Mountain Summit Track, Lake Wanaka Lookout, and a circuit around the lake - and I took them all in willingly. The views were stunning and the sounds around the lake were serenity-inducing.

I sent this to a coworker saying "New Zealand is overrated"...
pretty sure he got the sarcasm

bunnies, it must be bunnies!

Afterward I showered, stocked up on two nights of dinner at the grocery store, had a glass of wine and headed three blocks down to the lake to enjoy the scenery with the ducks.

not a bad way to end the day

Tomorrow's adventure: Rob Roy Glacier. Tonight's adventure: surviving the Russian girl skyping next to me for an hour. Ah, youth!

No comments:

Post a Comment