Friday, February 17, 2012

Tui Extreme, Day 5: not so extreme.

Had a well-deserved very lazy morning in Queenstown. After a wonderful breakfast (I {heart} Bob's Weigh! and New Zealand bread! and New Zealand!), instead of hiking the Ben Lomond trail the guides had recommended, I opted to walk up to the lookout.

I did catch the moon and Ben Lomond though

You can also take a gondola up to the viewpoint but despite all of the aforementioned tramping I felt the need for some exercise. (Guess the New Zealand culture was rubbing off?) Even that was quite an uphill walk, but it only took about an hour and the views of the Remarkables were outstanding.

as Kim would say, they're quite remarkable

and the ginger beer popsicle was fantastic

Afterward I wandered around the Queenstown cemetery for a while. Interesting that some of the tombstones included cause of death.

RIP william, but what a view you have for all of eternity...

Also interesting that the cemetery was right below the gondola lookout where in the span of about half a mile I'd witnessed helicopters, hang gliders, para-gliders, jetboaters, lugers, extreme mountain bikers... So, interesting, but not unexpected, I suppose.

RIP nicholas... and I agree

Afterward I did a little shopping in downtown Queenstown and hit the gardens.

guess what? duck butt!

one of about sixty thousand flower shots

Dinner was a chicken salad at Dux de Lux, where Kim and I were introduced to the magic of Epic pale ale.

(the next three were also magic)

Next up: Milford Sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment