Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tui Extreme, Day 3: I think I was in heaven.

Breakfast this morning was a buffet at the pub, then we headed to Makarora. Today's adventure involved a scenic flight along snowy Southern Alps where we landed on the Siberia Valley airstrip.

and by airstrip, I mean "airstrip"

We lunched with the sand flies at the DOC hut (chicken/pesto wraps might be my new fave!), and half of the group walked a few hours through lovely forest down to the jetboat landing while the rest of us hiked to Lake Crucible. Those of us hiking to the lake would be staying in the DOC hut that night and hiking down the next day, and most of us were excited to be sleeping in the wilderness... I certainly was.

waterfall a few hundred feet from the hut

The Lake Crucible hike was a six-hour return...

... through a lovely valley...

... up a very steep climb...

... across a few rivers...

... through another lovely valley...

... up a quick climb, to a gorgeous lake...

I already knew that this would be my favorite day of the trip. On the walk back to the hut, we split up and found our own ways back, so I took my time meandering through the gorgeous field and enjoying the silence.

meandering

enjoying the silence

Our guide made us a fantastic dinner of tofu curry (although dirt probably would've tasted really good after that killer hike), and we all pretty much sacked out. Apparently the guide stayed up talking with a local parks-and-rec-type person who was hoping to create a great walk in Auckland. They were both dismayed that of the 30 or so people staying at the hut that night, only about five were "kiwis" - even with all of the outdoor options and an absolutely gorgeous country, it sounds like New Zealanders are less inclined to travel or tramp within their own country.

Not sure that's any different than people who live in the US, though. I've been very fortunate to have seen a lot of this country but most people I know have not. In fact, many don't even venture outside their home town - something I cannot even fathom.

Which reminds me, I need to get to Southeastern Oregon pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment