Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tui Extreme, Day 2: Franz Joseph!

Breakfast was french toast with bananas and excellent coffee. I'm glad I ate a lot; later I would need the fuel.

The hike to Roberts Point is only 11km round trip (just under 7 miles) so I was surprised that it was listed as a "5 hour return." Soon after we started, I realized why though... slippery rocks, a bit of bouldering and pretty much straight up the whole way.

one of the easy parts

At one point early on, the guide paused at a bridge just after a pretty treacherous boulder climb and said that this was the point where most people usually turned around. I could see why.

yep, pretty much straight down (photo courtesy Kim)

But we plodded on, at various speeds and with various slips and falls along the way. I got a bruise that ended up looking like the South Island, so that was pretty neat. But the view at the top was definitely worth it.

Franz! part I

Franz! part II

And the beer at the end was definitely worth it.

why cupholders were invented, exhibit A

Others in our group had chosen to helicopter in and hike the glacier, but I'm glad I did the hike. Not only was it quite an adventure and a really awesome workout, it helped me to understand their tramping ratings which ensured that I was mentally prepared for the rest of the hikes I would do on this trip.

We made a brief stop in Fox Glacier and headed to our final destination that day - Haast - for a fish and chips dinner and cake for Kim. The locals at the pub joined our group in a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday, she was quite touched.

happy birthday dear Kimmy!

And once again, we all slept very well that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment